Waabs (Danish: Vabs, Low German: Woobs ) is a municipality in the district of Rendsburg -Eckernförde in Schleswig -Holstein. It consists of the villages Kleinwaabs ( Danish: Vabs ) Großwaabs (Store Vabs ) and Langholz ( Langholt ) and includes the hamlets of Ash Mountain ( Askbjerg ) Booknis ( Bognæs ) Hökholz ( Høgholt ) Hülsenhain ( Hylsenhajn ) Karlsminde, Lehmberg ( Lemberg), Ludwigsburg ( Ludvigsborg ) Neuschlag, Sophienhof, Ritenrade, red sands and Waabshof one. It was created by the dissolution of the estate districts in 1928.
- 3.1 Coat of Arms
Geography and transport
Waabs is located about 10 km northeast of Eckenförde on the Eckernförder bay on the peninsula Schwansen. After the mostly commonly used definition definition Eckernförder Bay starts at Booknis corner within the community. West of Waabs the Schwansenstraße of Kappeln runs to Eckernförde. The municipality Waabs include around 12 km from the sea beach, where there are some campsites. In the municipality of Aassee is.
In the long history of settlement, the numerous barrows out in the municipal area. The built in the Neolithic and restored 1976-78, 57 m long barrow of Waabs - Karlsminde is open to the public as an archaeological monument. The long wood dolmens, the long beds of red sand and the Sophienhof dolmens are other examples.
Waabs was first mentioned in 1382 as Groten Wopensee, and later under the name Wapenisse ( 1462 ), Wapendsee ( 1481 ) and Waabskirch ( 1641).
The manor house of the estate Kohøved (Danish: " Kuhhof " ) as it was originally called, is located in a grave system because it was built on the foundations of a medieval moated castle. It should have been an episcopal fief in the Middle Ages with a manor and a village, but is first mentioned in 1396 as a chivalrous possession. In the 18th century it was owned by the Count Friedrich Ludwig von Dehn ( 1697-1771 ) used, the governor of Schleswig -Holstein.
The present Baroque mansion was executed with its gardens in the early 18th century for Ludwig von Dehn, who renamed also the court in Ludwigsburg. Particularly noteworthy is the colored chamber with its baroque room decorations. In addition, areas such as the Golden Hall and the vaulted cellar for weddings and other celebrations can be used in the mansion.
Today there are riding stables are also grown on the Trakehner, Arabian, Holstein and German Riding Ponies, a farm shop and a cafe on the estate.
St. Mary's Church
The present church in Waabs comes in its oldest parts dating from the Gothic and received by the erection of the tower at the end of the 16th century and the curvature of the ship by three transverse rectangular cross-ribbed vault in 1608 its present form. The church houses some remarkable works of art, such as a series of Gothic wood sculptures. They are probably remnants of a created around 1460 great Marian shrine. The carved is a work of the 17th century. In addition to the wooden baptism in 1674 is put back into use for several years and the early Gothic font from Gotland limestone. The carved pulpit was created in 1600. Also worth seeing are the remaining parts of the Rantzaugestühls from the years 1580/90 and 1608 with carved coats of arms and pedigrees. The church received an organ at the beginning of the 17th century.
Of the 13 seats in the municipal council, the CDU has been the municipal election 2008, seven seats, the voter community WGW has four and the two SPD.
Coat of arms
Blazon: " Split of blue and gold, on a rooted, the right of an ear of corn, left by a fish accompanied beech in confused colors. "
In the community Waabs tourism is one of the main sources of income. In addition, the region is predominantly agricultural.
All monuments of culture of the community Waabs are in the list of cultural monuments in Waabs.
- Robert Kappel, economists
- Gustav Carl Liebig (1930-2007), naval officer