Pellworm ( stress on the second syllable; Pelvorm Danish, Frisian Pälweerm ) is a municipality in the district of North Friesland Schleswig -Holstein and North Frisian island in the National Park Schleswig -Holstein Wadden Sea. The municipal area include not only the island of Pellworm the holms Süderoog and Südfall. Pellworm is a Nordseeheilbad.

  • 5.1 traffic


Pellworm is the third largest North Frisian island. Their extent is seven kilometers east-west and six kilometers in north-south direction.

It consists of the western part of the former island beach, which was destroyed in 1634 in the Burchardiflut. Pellworm, North beach and some of the holms are fragments of the former island. Today Pellworm is on average about a meter below sea level. The island is therefore protected by an 8 m high and 25 km long dike.

The community includes not only the Pellworm Pellworm the small holms Südfall and Süderoog.

The island Pellworm divided into polders: Age polder, Bupheverkoog, Big polder, Big Norderkoog, Hunnenkoog, Johann- Heimreich - polder, polder Small, Small Norderkoog, Central St polder, Ostersielkoog, Süderkoog, Ütermarkerkoog and Westerkoog. Not diked areas are in the north ( Norder holm or holm - Norder ) and the Ostersiel in the East ( Junker holm or holm - squires ).

There are in 14 districts: Old church, Hooger ferry, Junker Mitteldeich, Monastery Mitteldeich, Norder Mitteldeich, Easter Schütting, Parliament, Seegarden, Schmerhörn, Southshore Mitteldeich, Tammensiel, Tilli, Waldhusen and Wester Schütting. The capital of the district is Pellworm Tammensiel in the east.

Development of the island

About the early history of the area around Pellworm nothing certain is known. The ethnologist Hans Peter Duerr 2005 represented the hypothesis immediately south of Pellworm have already been in ancient times, an important Greek trading post; with other researchers, this assumption came but overwhelmingly rejected.

The North Frisians were subject since the 13th century, alternating the Danish kings or Schleswig dukes. Since 1864/67 the island Pellworm then belonged to Prussia, from 1871 to the German Reich. The poet Detlev von Liliencron was 1882/83 District Judge of the island.

The story of Pellworm was coined by dike construction, land reclamation and storm surges. The earliest attested storm surges in the years 1216 and 1230 that killed in the territory of North Friesland tens of thousands. Between 15 and January 17, 1362 the later legendary harbor Rungholt went down in a storm surge ( Grote Mandränke ), and it formed the island beach.

On November 1, 1436, the All Saints separated from Pellworm of North beach. Another flood in 1480 tore Pellworm into two parts. This damage could be eliminated by a great effort and 1550 were Pellworm and North beach reunited.

But the Burchardiflut on 11 and October 12, 1634 Pellworm finally separated from the north beach. It drowned alone on Pellworm about 1,000 people. Cause of the disaster was, among other things, the massive peat mining in the region, which led to a lowering of the general country level. In addition, the flow conditions had changed in the Wadden Sea. From 1635 to 1637 the main polders of the island, Big polder, polder age, middle Rochester polder, polder and Little John's Heimreich - enclosed land were under Dutch settlers substantial interest again bedeicht. The area of these polders is also known as Alt- Pellworm. There were other embankments in 1657, 1663, 1672 and 1687th This Little Norderkoog, Westerkoog, Ütermarkerkoog, Hunnenkoog, Süderkoog and Big Norderkoog were recovered.

After that, only in 1790 and 1939 two more were embanked polders. As part of a land reclamation program, backed by the Nazi blood and soil ideology, could 1939 Bupheverkoog be ( Vorländer Buphever and Langeland ) dikes and populated ( see also: Adolf Hitler polder, Hermann- Göring- polder ).

Storm surges from 1697, 1701, 1703, 1717, 1718, 1719, 1720, 1729, 1743 and 1756 destroyed again parts of the island. The damage could usually be removed without delay. But the misery on the island grew because of the high burden of dike construction and quality assurance. Two floods of 1789 and 1794 worsened the situation of the population. The last storm surge Pellworm almost completely flooded, was the February flood on 3 and 4 February 1825.

Even today, it may come under Pellworm meeting of all adverse conditions to the dike on flushing storm surge. The floods of 1831, 1911, 1936, 1962, 1976 and 1981 were the island the only reason not compromise because the dike was repeatedly raised: The last three storm tides were higher than the flood of 1825, but also the deeper and widening. Heverstrom and its side arms threaten the island. You could wade through the Norderhever between Pellworm and North beach at low tide a few years ago. Today the Norderhever there is six to nine feet deep.

Was proposed to build a submersible dam of Pellworm to North beach, which is to reduce the Sandabtrag. This plan is but currently neither monitored as a motorable causeway to the mainland.

In Tammensiel was until the end of 2007 the management of the Office Pellworm (municipalities Gröde, Hooge, Langeneß and Pellworm ). Since 1 January 2008, the Office and thus the community is managed under an administrative community through the town of Husum. In Tammensiel is a branch of the administration.


Probably since the 8th century, but no later than the year 1000, the Frisians emigrated from the area of the mouth of the Rhine to the North Frisian islands, and came thus to Pellworm. Over the years changed through education and immigration and control " dykes who do not want, must give way to " the composition of the island's population more than once; none of today based on Pellworm families came before the 18th century on the island. Currently, there are 650 households on Pellworm; the number has been declining for a long time.

The population of Pellworm is predominantly Lutheran. There are two churches of the Evangelical Lutheran population: The Old Church (St. Salvator ) to the west on the dike and the New Church in the center of the island. The Anton- Heimreich House is the parish hall of the Lutheran congregation. The Momme Nissen House is the community center of the Roman Catholic church. There regular exhibitions will take place.

Today, many people talk on Pellworm as in most rural regions of Schleswig-Holstein as a colloquial language of the islanders Low German; an understanding in High German but is easily possible. Until the late 18th century is still spoken Frisian Pellworm that was spoken like on North beach in the dialect of Frisian Strander. The immigration numerous settlers from the Netherlands and southern Germany Frisian was abandoned towards the end of the 18th century, so that the Strander Frisian is considered together with the Eiderstedter Frisian now considered extinct. Few traces of Frisian have been preserved in Pellwormer Low German.

In recent years, it is on the island due to aging a significant demographic changes. More and more properties for sale or have been sold to outsiders. Since these often do not pull Pellworm, but the houses often rent out to holiday makers, the number of the island and farms decreases, while the average size of the remaining farms is growing.


Municipal council

Of the eleven seats in the municipal council, the CDU and the SPD had since the local elections 2008 four seats and the voter community WGP three. In the local elections on May 26, 2013, the CDU came to six seats. The SPD won three seats and the WGP two seats.


For the 2013-2018 term of the municipal council Jürgen Feddersen (CDU ) was elected mayor. He succeeded to Klaus Jensen ( CDU), who is now a member of the Kiel parliament. Jürgen Feddersen had already been from 1990-2005 Mayor municipality.

Coat of arms

Blazon: ". Argent, one of three black seagulls accompanied red church tower ruins over blue and silver waves in the green by a bar capped sign foot "


In addition to the dominant especially in the summer months, tourism and agriculture is an important economic factor for the island. There is no sandy beach, but some fortified bathing areas on the island. Despite the importance of tourism for the island Pellworm is far less influenced by tourism than about Amrum or Sylt. An industry for the community Pellworm is the use of renewable energies. So there are many in the community wind turbines, erected in 1983 hybrid power plant Pellworm and a biogas plant.

On Pellworm you find a primary care. Grocery stores there are in Tammensiel and at Norder Mitteldeich. The latter also carries a small selection of clothing and footwear; small clothing stores, there are also proved beneficial in Tammensiel. Bakeries existed until the fall of 2011 in Tilli and Tammensiel, now only in Tammensiel. In addition, a gas station, an automotive repair shop, a carpentry shop, a goldsmith, two potteries and some other small craft. Several fishermen have in Tammensiel its home port; the cutter catch brown shrimp in particular, are mostly referred to as "crabs ".

On the island there are numerous restaurants and bistros. In Tammensiel region also has several souvenir shops. Next there are two riding stables, a recording studio and the Red Cross Center for Health and Family ( formerly mother and child health clinic ).


Pellworm is connected to the mainland by a regular ferry service to the New Pellwormer Steamship Company ( NPDG ) via Strucklahnungshörn on North beach. Since the construction of the deepwater investor before Tammensiel (1992 ) of the ferry dock is tidenunabhängig so that ferry on a regular schedule is possible.

In addition, there is in the southeast of the port of Pellworm Tammensiel, which is used simultaneously at low water to dewater the marsh island. Tammensiel is used as a fishing port for the Pellwormer shrimp boats and also visited by recreational craft. For the latter, he is the only excreta disposal in the area. At high water the ferries from North beach occasionally run on this port.

Pellwormer lighthouse is in the base, the tower shaft and lantern house the beacon Hoernum very similar, but slightly higher than this. The paintings are almost identical, the only difference are two portholes rows of windows in the middle, white painted tower segment, in Hoernum it's a series. The leading light has a range from 15.9 to 22.3 nautical miles and marks a portion of the fairway of the Norderhever. The two cross light show rate change points in the Norderhever and Süderaue.

On the island there is a well developed road network and a few bike paths.

The in roundabout circulating on the island bus 1091 NPDG ensures public transport, recreational days wrong this but only as Paratransit. Further trips run daily from Tammensiel to the ferry, even on vacation days.

A small airport suitable for private aircraft to two tons. A small ship sails during the summer months of the Hooger ferry in the northwest of the island almost every day for the Hooge holm. From there also trips for Norderoogsand and to the seal banks are offered.

Medical care

The island is of a general medical doctor's office supplies (near the spa at the harbor in Tammensiel ) as well as a veterinarian. Dental care is not available. Right next to the doctor's office there is a pharmacy. For medical emergencies is at the Hospital Husum around the clock, a helicopter ready, which can reach Pellworm within minutes.

Public institutions

There are Tammensiel in a police station with a police officer. The island has a primary, junior, intermediate and special school ( Hermann- Neuton Paulsen school) for around 140 students (as of 2009 ). At present ( 2013) about 100 children attend the school.

On Kaydeich there is a recreation hall with cinema, mini golf, tennis and table tennis. At irregular intervals there also cultural events for children and adults take place. Pellworm also has a leisure harbor - Pelle the shaft.

Culture and sights

In Rungholt Museum Bahnsen since 1980 presents the watt experienced local historian Hellmut Bahnsen finds from the watts. The Wadden Museum Liermann on Schütting issues the findings of 50 years of post- transition of holm postman Heinrich Liermann. The island museum on the top floor of the spa administration Tammensiel in the island's history is presented with a focus on dikes.

Pellwormer lighthouse from 1906 to the south of the island can be visited. The 38 meter high tower rests on 127-14 meters deep oak posts and weighs 130 tons. At the lighthouse there is a registry office - when it opened the first German registry office on a lighthouse.

Landmark of the island is the ruined tower of the ancient church. The brick- tower of this medieval " Fries Domes " fell already in 1611 to a large extent in on itself, as the soft mud flats was not up to his weight. The hull obtained extends 26 meters up, the original building was at least twice as high. In the ruined tower regularly nesting kestrels. In the ruined tower is also the memorial to the crew of the Ormen Friske. In the early Church, which was renovated in the 2000s, is the only surviving in Schleswig -Holstein Schnitger organ of the famous organ builder Arp Schnitger; it dates from 1711 and is so famous that virtuosos from many countries travel to Pellworm to record vinyl records and CDs there for their sound. Each summer, concerts are held on Wednesdays.

The Norder mill is a 1777 erected one-story gallery Dutchman with continuous octagonal stand, sail wings and codend. The cap is set, the wind wings are normal, but the device is no longer available. The mill was used as a restaurant since the restoration from 1995 to 2008, after the reconstruction in 2009, it is divided into three apartments.

The hybrid power plant Pellworm was gradually expanded and now serves as a tourist destination and a demonstration power plant and visitor center.

In the northeast of the island is an easily accessible duck decoy, which is designated as a nature reserve. It has the only wood of the island and is no longer used for hunting.

Due to the remoteness and the lack of work in the winter ( as it then hardly any tourists there ) to a special Skat- culture on the island has formed: Many residents play during the winter months Skat. Frequently it comes to multi-day tournaments. The commonly held in the summer Preisskat games are exposed to it.

Tower of the Old Church

Arp Schnitger organ in the Ancient Church

Hybrid power plant and visitor center