Gy is a commune in Haute -Saône in the Franche -Comté. It is the capital of the canton in the arrondissement of Vesoul Gy.
Gy is located at an altitude of 234 m above sea level, 17 km east of Gray and about 25 km northwest of the city of Besançon (air line). The town extends to the southwest, the department, at the western foot of the heights of the Monts de Gy, at the edge of the basin of the Saone.
The area of 24.60 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the undulating landscape between the river valleys of the Saône and Ognon. Geographically, the area is divided into two parts. The northwestern part of a basin, a so-called alluvial ingested, which is on average 200 m. It is drained by the Morte, which marks the northern boundary of the municipality, west to the Saône. The fertile soils are mainly used for agricultural purposes. On the west is the vast forest area of the Bois de Vaivre.
To the southeast the terrain initially rises very slowly. A 150 m high ground level then leads on to the heights of the Monts de Gy. Directly southeast of Gy rises the ridge of the Bois de Natoy, on the 380 meters, the highest point of Gy is reached. Next to the southeast follow the heights of the Bois de Plumont ( to 370 m) and the Grove of Grands Bois de Gy ( to 375 m). This plateau shows no surface watercourses, because the rainwater seeps into the karst underground. In geological- tectonic respect, the Monts de Gy consist of an alternation of calcareous and sandy- marly sediments that were deposited in the middle and upper Jurassic and in the Cretaceous period.
Gy to the development La Charmotte (215 m) is in the plane north of the town. Neighboring communities of Gy are Citey and Vellefrey -et- Vellefrange in the north, Bucey -lès- Gy and Gézier -et- Fontenelay in the east, and Autoreille Charcenne in the south and Choye in the West.
The territory of Gy was settled very early. Remains of a Hallstatt settlement site excavated, and in the Bois de Plumont there is a tumulus. Even during the Roman era there was a camp here.
Is first mentioned Gy in 1049th In the Middle Ages the place to Franche-Comté and in the territory of the Bailliage d' amont belonged. Even in the 11th century built the archbishops of Besançon in Gy a castle and thus consolidated their rule in this region, which lasted until the French Revolution. The place became a small medieval castle spots. 1348 Gy was equipped with the city charter. In the time of the French King Henry IV, the town was occupied in 1595 by troops under Louis de Beauvau. Came together with the Franche -Comté Gy with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 definitively to France. Today Gy is the administrative seat of the comprehensive 20 villages municipal association Communauté de communes des Monts de Gy.
Gy has preserved its late medieval appearance and is awarded with the label " Petite Cité Morbier of Character ". While the upper town ( Bourg- Dessus ) is primarily determined by houses from the 17th and 18th centuries as well as some late-Gothic houses, the lower town (Ville Basse ) is characterized by buildings from the 19th century.
Outstanding building and most important attraction of Gy is the castle, which belonged to the Archbishops of Besançon. The original building dates from the 12th century. Over time, numerous refits and conversions have been made, so that the castle today is the Renaissance style. A major reconstruction took place in the period 1755-1770. Use the French Revolution, the castle passed into state ownership. From 1850 to 1974 the central part of a College was housed; Since then, there is the private building, but can be visited from April to September 18 ( except Tuesdays ).
The town of Saint- Symphorien was rebuilt in the 18th century. It has a rich interior, including a baptismal font from the 15th century, richly carved altars, furniture and wall paintings from the 18th century. On the road to Gray the chapel Saint -Symphorien from the 18th century stands with a statue of the Madonna from the 14th century and other statues, which date from the 17th century.
Another important buildings the Mairie (Town Hall ) are to be mentioned in the style of neo-classicism of the early 19th century and the monumental fountain of 1830 on the Place de la République. Its capital is supported by four large pillars. Remains of old fortifications of the town have been preserved. Gy has a wine museum.
With 1053 inhabitants ( 1 January 2011) Gy is one of the smaller communities of the department of Haute- Saône. The highest population was registered in the period around 1830, when Gy counted almost 3000 people. Subsequently, the population decreased continuously (1886 or 2035 inhabitants). A stabilization in the range between 900 and 1000 people was reached in 1960. It was not until recently again a slight increase in population.
Economy and infrastructure
Gy has long been a town that was dominated by trade and commerce as well as the processing of agricultural products of the surrounding area. Today Gy is a small center that accepts central functions for the surrounding region. There are various companies of small and medium enterprises, mainly in the areas of metal processing, precision engineering and automotive industry.
The village has good transport links. It lies on the main road D474 which leads from Gray to Vesoul. Through a local bypass road of the city core is relieved of through traffic. Further road links exist with Pesmes, Fresne -Saint- Mamès and pin. The nearest links to the A36 motorway is located at a distance of about 28 km.