Phuket ( Thai: ภูเก็ต, [ p ʰ ū ː KET. ] ) Is a province ( Changwat ) in the southern region of Thailand. Phuket is also the name of the provincial capital.
Ko Phuket is Thailand's largest island, it lies in the Andaman Sea (Indian Ocean).
The hilly island is just over 543 km ². The capital is Mueang Phuket (Phuket -City), at the same time the provincial capital of the province ( Changwat ) Phuket in southern Thailand.
Phuket has a north / south length of about 50 km and a maximum east / west width of about 21 km.
The climate in the province is tropical monsunal. The maximum temperature in 2008 was 34.8 ° C, the lowest temperature was measured with 23.0 ° C. At 188 days of rain fell in the same year 2451.6 mm of precipitation.
Economic importance and
The main sources of income has been the promotion of tin as well as the cultivation of coconut and rubber trees. Today, it is tourism, but the confined almost exclusively to the tourist resorts on the west coast, for example, Patong, Karon, Kata and also the island's capital.
The "Gross Provincial Product" ( GDP ) of the province in 2008 amounted to 65 323 million baht. The minimum wage in the province is 221 baht per day ( about 5 € ).
For the province, the following land use is documented:
- Forest area: 96 065 Rai (60.0 km ²), 28.3 % of the total
- The utilized agricultural area: 21 732 Rai ( 13.6 km ² ), 6.4 % of the total
- Not classified area: 221 598 rai ( 138.5 km ²), 65.3 % of the total
The origin of the name of the island is not entirely clear. He could be derived from the many, located on the island of hills and small mountains ( " mountain " is in Thai Phukau and "hill" in Malay Bukit ).
Coat of arms
The coat of arms shows the two heroines of the province: Thao Thep Kasattri and Thao Sri Sunthon.
The tree is the province's Narrabaum ( Pterocarpus indicus), and the flower Pepper Flower ( Bougainvillea sp.).
The motto of the province of Phuket is:
The province is divided into three districts ( Amphoe ). These are further subdivided into 17 communes ( tambon) and 103 villages ( Muban ).
There are nine municipalities in the province of Phuket:
- Phuket Town ( เทศบาล นคร ภูเก็ต ) itself has since 13 February 2004 a city - state ( thesaban Nakhon ).
- The tourist resorts Patong ( เทศบาล เมือง ป่า ตอง ) and Katu ( เทศบาล เมือง กะทู้ ) have a city status ( thesaban Mueang ).
- In addition, there are six small towns ( thesaban tambon) in the province - Karon, Thep Krasattri, Choeng Thale, Ratsada, Rawai and Wichit.
- The non- urban areas of eight administrative organizations ( " Tambon Administrative Organizations" - TAO, Thai: องค์การ บริหาร ส่วน ตำบล ) managed.