Nakhon Pathom Province
Nakhon Pathom ( Thai: จังหวัด นครปฐม, [ náʔk ʰ ɔ̄ ː n pā.t ǒm ʰ ] ) is a province ( Changwat ) in central Thailand.
Nakhon Pathom is located about 50 kilometers west of the center of the provincial capital of Bangkok. However, Bangkok has already extended to the borders of Nakhon Pathom.
Nakhon Pathom is located in the lowlands of the Chao Phraya River and drained over the Maenam Tha Chin River, a tributary of the Chao Phraya River.
The climate is tropical and monsunal.
In Nakhon Pathom mainly Thais live. In addition, however resettlement of descendants of bonded laborers abducted from Siamese Laos, the Lao khrang (the total number in Thailand is 53,000 ).
Economic importance and
About 50 % of the area is used for agriculture, mainly for rice and fruit cultivation. Nakhon Pathom is known for pomelo in Thailand. The minimum wage is 300 baht (about 6.50 EUR / day - date April 1, 2012 ). The "Gross Provincial Product" ( GDP ) in 2009 was 136 699 million Baht.
- Sweet Pomelo ( ส้ม โอ หวาน )
- Aromatic coconut water ( มะพร้าว น้ำหอม )
- Khao lam ( ข้าวหลาม, [k ʰ â ː w ˑ lǎ ː m] ) - glutinous rice roasted in bamboo
For the province, the following land use is documented:
- Forest area: -
- The utilized agricultural area: 727 336 Rai ( 1163.7 km ²), 53.7 % of the total
- Not classified area: 627 868 Rai ( 1004.6 km ²), 46.3 % of the total
Originally Nakhon Pathom was a city on the coast of the Gulf of Siam, but this changed the coastline as a result of sedimentation by the Chaophraya. After the course of the Tha Chin had changed and dried up the town slowly, the population moved to Nakhon Chaisi (or Sirichai ).
Historians believe that Nakhon Pathom was settled in the 3rd century BC. Anyway, took place from the introduction of Buddhism to Siam from here. The Indian Emperor Asoka sent the two monks and Phra Utara Phra Sona hither, to bring Buddhism in this " Golden Land " (Suvarnabhumi ). Therefore, there is also one of the world's largest Buddhist monuments, the great chedi in the city, which was still inspired by King Rama IV Mongkut. The chedi houses relics of the Buddha.
During the reign of King Rama I (reigned 1782-1809 ) led to a comprehensive tax system, including for alcohol. Nakhon Pathom was administered together Suphanburi Samut Sakhon and Nakhon Chaisi under the name there.
In several episodes settlement during the 19th and early 20th centuries, people from Cambodia, Laos and northern Thailand to Nakhon Pathom. In recent times, people and employers from Bangkok to Nakhon Pathom pull reinforced to avoid the problems of capital ( high rents, permanent traffic jams on the roads).
See also: History of Thailand
- Phutthamonthon Park (also Buddha Monthon written ), a " Buddhist Park " in the same district.
- Sam Phran elephant and crocodile farm - shows with crocodiles and elephants, their rearing and training is shown
- Rose Garden - on the banks of the river Thachin also in Amphoe Sam Phran, shows traditional Thai amusements and games, such as cockfighting, folk dances, sword fights and Buddhist ceremonies
- Wat Rai Khing Amphoe Sam Phran on the banks of the River Chaisi, Buddhist temple ( Wat ) from the time of King Mongkut (Rama IV ).
- Jesada Museum of Technology - You can find these here collections of old cars, trucks and airplanes
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of the province of Nakhon Pathom Phra Pathom Chedi shows, the largest Chedi world. It is located in the center of Nakhon Pathom. In 1860, King Rama IV Mongkut build the pagoda again. Therefore, the seal adorns the royal crown.
The local tree is Diospyros decandra.
The motto of the province of Nakhon Pathom is:
The province is divided into seven administrative districts ( Amphoe ). These are further divided into 106 municipalities ( tambon) and 930 villages ( Muban ) divided.
In the province there is next to a big city ( เทศบาล นคร - thesaban Nakhon ) Nakhon Pathom ( เทศบาล นคร นครปฐม ) four cities ( เทศบาล เมือง - thesaban Mueang ) and 18 small cities ( เทศบาล ตำบล - thesaban tambon).