Tolfa is a municipality in the province of Rome in the Italian region Lazio, 5187 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). The town is located 50 kilometers northwest of Rome and 13 miles from the port city of Civitavecchia.
Tolfa lies in the nature reserve of the Monti della Tolfa. The Tolfaberge were used for mining minerals such as iron ore and alum since the time of the Etruscans. Today, however, they are one of the most isolated regions of Lazio, so that here, among many other animals, including the Tolfa Wolves still have a refuge. Tolfa is a member of the Comunità Montana Monti della Tolfa.
The municipality consists of the part locations Rota, a village on the river Mignone, and the northeastern part of Santa Severa on the railway line Rome - Civitavecchia.
The Tolfaberge were densely populated since the Bronze Age because of its rich mineral resources. Witness of numerous archaeological finds. Tolfa itself was first mentioned in 1201. In the 13th century it came into the possession of the Papal States. Initially dominated by the family of the Frangipane was under Tolfa from the 15th-century the Apostolic Chamber.
Luigi Lando broke in May 2011 from Alessandro Battilocchio (PSI ), who was elected in 2000 as the youngest mayor in Italy.
- The medieval village of Tolfa huddled around a prominent conical hill with sweeping views over the Tolfaberge.
- At its peak stands the ruined castle of the Frangipane. It was destroyed in 1799 by the French.
- Next to the castle is the church of Madonna della Rocca
- The Palazzo della Ragione or Palazzo Baronale was built around 1200.
- In the center are some Renaissance palaces such as Palazzo Buttaoni, Palazzo cellos and the Palazzo Panetti
- Palazzo Comunale, the city administration is housed.
- The Archaeological Museum, which mainly finds from the Etruscan period, located in the former convent next to the church of Agostinerpater Sughera.
- From Tolfa Nuova, a long time rival of Tolfa Vecchia, remained only ruins on Monte Tolfaccia, south of Tolfa.
- In Rota, east of Tolfa the castle stands high above a loop of the Mignone.
- On the first Sunday in August the tournament Mounted shepherd who butteri takes place.