Santa Marinella is an Italian town in the Lazio region belonging to the province of Rome, with 17 988 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012).
- 4.1 Twin towns
Santa Marinella is a popular seaside resort and lies 61 km northwest of Rome, 118 km south-east of Grosseto and 9 km south of Civitavecchia. The municipality extends to the east of Capo Linaro along the Tyrrhenian Sea. The municipality belongs to the district of Santa Severa. The municipality covers an altitude 0-344 m slm.
The municipality is located in the seismic zone 4 (very little at risk ).
In the south of the municipality of the Natural Park Macchiatonda preserves the original landscape of the coastal plain.
- Santa Marinella is accessible via the exits Civitavecchia Sud and Santa Severa on the A12 Autostrada Azzurra from Rome to Civitavecchia.
- Santa Marinella is situated on the Strada Stadale SS 1 Aurelia, which leads from Rome along the coast from the French border.
- The city has two railway stations (Santa Marinella and Santa Severa ) on the regional rail line FR5 from Roma Termini to Civitavecchia, and the railway Pisa - Rome.
At the site of Santa Marinella was in ancient times the place Punicum, which could still be traced back to the Etruscans. After the fall of the Roman Empire Punicum was abandoned and after the year 1000, the modest village of Santa Marinella was born. In the 16th century Barberini built on the foundations of an ancient fastening her castle. 1887, was acquired by the Odescalchi family. Only in the 20th century the town developed with the advent of beach tourism to a city. In the 1950s and 1960s, Santa Marinella was a meeting place of celebrities and filmmakers.
Santa Marinella in 1990 a town.
Roberto Bacheca ( PdL ) was elected in April 2008, the Mayor and confirmed in the second round in June 2013 in the Official. His center-right alliance also with 10 of 16 seats, the majority in the City Council.
Mayor of Santa Marinella:
- 2000 - 2005: Franco Bordicchia
- 2005 - 2007: Pietro Tidei (PD )
- 2007 - 2008: Fausto Gianni, Acting Mayor
- Since 2008: Roberto Bacheca ( PdL )
- The Castello Odescalchi right on the harbor was built in the 11th century
- In Santa Severa castle with a fortified castle village, and the excavations of pyrgi are worth seeing.
People with connection to the city
- Farouk of Egypt spent the first years of his exile in Santa Marinella.
- Ingrid Bergman and Roberto Rossellini lived during their marriage here.
- The physicist Guglielmo Marconi led to Torre Chiaruccia by experiments.
- Loriot read in one of his first television skits before a holiday brochure of Santa Marinella, which was written in very mangelhaftem German.