Branzi is a municipality in the Province of Bergamo in the Italian region Lombardy with 721 inhabitants (as at 31 December 2012).
Branzi is located about 50 km north of the provincial capital city of Bergamo in Val Brembana. Districts are Cagnoli, Gardata, Rivioni and Ripe. The community is a member of the Comunità Montana Valle Brembana and the Parco delle Orobie Bergamasche.
Since the mid-13th century, a community can be demonstrated to the Carona, belonged Fondra (later Isola di Fondra ) and Trabuchello ( today part of Isola di Fondra ), and which had its seat in Branzi. In the statutes of Bergamo from the years 1331 and 1422, this is also in use. 1595 were the places Branzi, Carona and Fondra independent communities, each of which formed a parish. Two Sindaci (mayor) took over the interests of the places true, a consul (console ) led the overall management of Valfondra. At the time it was in the three centers in 1410 inhabitants in 258 households ( fuochi ). The church ran a wine bar with moderate prices, in addition, there was a public oven and two forges. Riverside Brembo four mills and two sawmills were operated. Since the first half of the 17th century, a council is busy, the two elected mayor and an officer at the head of the municipal administration. At the end of the 18th century Branzi counted 330 inhabitants. From 1797 to 1804 Branzi and Carona were recombined into a community. 1805, the population was of Branzi 300, in 1809 519 1810 Carona, Fondra and Trabuchello were combined with Branzi, the Lombardo - Venetian Kingdom first brought no change in 1871 were added Monaci Cagnoli. 1853 the municipality had 707 inhabitants. When connecting the Lombard provinces of the Kingdom of Sardinia in 1859 Carona and Fondra became independent again. In the census of 1861 after the founding of the Kingdom of Italy Branzi counted 767 residents. After a temporary decline in the city reached its highest in 1921 with 1,120 inhabitants, which fell to 1936 on 832. In 1951 counted 1,051 residents, then the population declined steadily.
The place has a long tradition of cheese making. The Formaggio Branzi, was sold at a market on September 21, which took three days to traders from Bergamo and Brescia. From this fat cheese, which was prepared in the high pastures and then matured in the valley 40 to 50 days some 10,000 forms were sold in the mid-19th century at the fair. Originally manufactured only in summer, this specialty is now available throughout the year.