Bellefontaine is a commune in the Vosges department in the Lorraine region. It belongs to the district Epinal, in the canton of Plombières- les- Bains, and since 2010 the Local Government Association, Voge vers les Rives de la Moselle.
The 39.11 km ² large municipality of Bellefontaine is located at an average altitude of 550 meters above the sea in the eastern angle of the plateau Voge, about 22 kilometers south of the town of Epinal and 14 kilometers west of Remiremont.
In the district Gérardfaing is the source of the 41 -kilometer Semouse, part of the river system of the Rhône. Through the southern part of the municipality of the Ruisseau du Pont Jeanson, which opens into the Semouse flows. The Sémousetal is in the southwest of the community close and the slope of the flux is larger, which is the cause for the investment of numerous water mills in historical times. In the source area of the Ruisseau du Pont Jeanson are two larger pond was dammed ( Etang des Motte, Etang de la Plaine ). To the east of the community is the source of the Niche, a Mosel tributary, so that the Rhine-Rhône watershed runs through the municipal area in the middle.
Forests cover about half of the municipality, they belong to the Forestry Forêt de Thiébémont the northwest, Bois des Hauts de Raon in the northeast, Forêt de Humont the southeast and Forêt de Rechentreux in the southwest. Despite the altitude of 500 meters above the sea of agricultural land consist about half of fields and pastures. The location on a plateau, and the absence of protective mountain slopes has high rainfall result. The low gradient favored the emergence of numerous wetlands which also includes the high moor Pierrache belongs to the a nature trail has been created. Until the 1950s, this peat was cut.
In addition to the main town of Bellefontaine and the village Gérardfaing itself is the community made up of numerous hamlets: Au Caleuchot, Belle- croix, Clair Esse, Gérardfaing, Haussonville, Jaillerey, L' Etang des Prêtres, La Gabiotte, La Gand - Croix, La Michotte, La Pierrache, La Trotelée, La Vierge des Voyageurs, Le Banbois, Le Blanc Murg, Le Calvaire, Le Gras Chien, Le Haut de Bellefontaine, Le Marbre, Le Menil, Le Paquis Six Frères, Le Pont de Pierre, Le Pont Jeanson, Le Pont Poirot, Le Potet, Le Rupt Guéné, Les boules, Les Duchênes, Les Huguels, Les Maisons de Raon, Les Marie -Jeanne, Les Retondaines, Les Trayes ( petite partie ), Les Viaux l'Etang de la Maix, Le Void de Cône, Le Xati, Mailleronfaing and Rougerupt.
Neighboring communities of Belle Fontaine Raon -aux -Bois in the north, Saint- Nabord in the east, Plombières- les- Bains in the south and Xertigny in the West.
The name Bellefontaine ( beautiful fountain ) comes from the ancient times occupied since sources that had a reputation for healing effect.
Between the 15th and 16th centuries Bellefontaine was repopulated after it probably over 100 years lay desolate. At the repopulation of the territory of present neighboring town of Raon- aux- Bois still remembers the name of the hamlet of Les Maisons de Raon.
The parish Bellefontaine depended until the eighteenth century the monastery (Priorat ) Herivaux in Le Val- D'Ajol. Individual hamlet in today's municipal area belonged partly to the chapter in Remiremont and the Ban of Arches. The at the time of the French Revolution newly created municipality of Bellefontaine was from 1790 to 1801 part of the canton of Éloyes.
The Chapel of Notre- Dame de Bon Secours dates from the 19th century, the church of Saint -Blaise goes back to the 11th century.
Still in the middle of the 19th century, six flour mills in the municipality of Belle Fontaine were counted.
From the Semouse the water mills Moulin des Maisons de Raon, Moulin de Jaillerey and Moulin du Pont Poirot (or Moulin Durand) were driven. The latter was not until the 1980s in operation. At the Ruisseau du Pont Jeason the Moulin du Pont de Pierre and the Moulin de Belle- Croix (or Moulin Arnold) were operated. Finally, at the Niche Creek Rouge Rupt was the Moulin de Mailleronfaing (or Moulin Brûlé ). None of the mills is obtained, partly there are still ruins of the buildings.
On January 1, 1973 Bellefontaine part of the community Plombières- les- Bains. This merger was made five years later undone.
Le Blanc Murg / Tréfilerie des Vosges
Characteristic of the community who testified since 1547 forged Le Blanc Murg was Sémousetal. Duke Leopold of Lorraine approved in 1728 the owner Étienne Bois Bien the establishment of a factory for the production of high-quality cutlery. The plant was purchased in 1754 by Denis Vinez. After a decree of King Charles X., the brothers Viney could set up two new iron smelting, from 1844 came two more added. The new owner Jean -Baptiste Auguste Daubié modernized operation with new patents and brought new products to the Paris World Exhibitions ( Exposition Universelle ) in 1855 and 1867. In 1785, employed 34 workers forge, in 1887 there were 60 workers. The company still exists today, he has been operating since 1958 under the name Tréfilerie des Vosges (TDV ) and has about 50 employees. The company specializes in the manufacture of precision steel profile.
Since the 1960s, the population of Bellefontaine has remained almost constant.
- Raised bog Pierrache with nature trail
- Church of Saint -Blaise, whose origins lie in the 11th century; Chancel, tower and nave were rebuilt in the 18th century
- Notre- Dame de Bon Secours, built in 1856 on the occasion of a cholera epidemic, restored in 2006
- Twenty stone crosses in the parish area of Bellefontaine, the oldest dating from 1552
Economy and infrastructure
In Bellefontaine farms (including butter making ) and small craft and service company ( plumbing, heating, Construction, roofing, agricultural machinery service ) are located. Some residents commute to the commercial areas of the surrounding area. The largest employer in Bellefontaine is the precision rolling mill Tréfilerie des Vosges (TDV ).
About the Department Straße 3 Belle Fontaine is connected to the nearby towns Remiremont, Xertigny and Plombières- les- Bains. The nearest train station is in Xertigny in seven kilometers away.
With the community Yébleron in the Seine -Maritime Bellefontaine in a partnership.
- Community presentation (in French)