Champ- le- Duc is a commune with 535 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Vosges in the Lorraine region. It belongs to the district Epinal, founded the canton of Bruyeres and to the 2002 Local Government Association Vallée de la Vologne.
- 4.1 Road Access
The community Champ- le- Duc is located in the Vosges Mountains at an altitude of 420 m above sea level, about halfway between the cities of Epinal and Saint- Dié.
The area of 3.58 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the valley of the Vologne which widens toward the inflow of nine to a wide valley. The Vologne here reduces its flow rate. In the area of their former meander emerged feeders for the operation of water mills. One of these branches - the Canal des Usines - provides today a paper mill southwest of Champ- le- Duc. North of the Vologne the terrain rises in terraces and forested reaches in the northeast of the community of 507 m above sea level on the edge of the Vosges spur the highest point. The nucleus extends in an inclined towards the south slope above the Lizerne, a small tributary of the Vologne. Within the area of arable and pasture land prevail between small park-like woodland, over the northern district Vrairoses the settlement area of the Champ -le- Duc is directly connected to the city Bruyeres.
At Champ- le- Duc include the hamlets and farms Champ Graville, Les Faye, Les Antilleux and Les Grandes Feignes.
Neighboring communities of Champ- le- Duc are Bruyeres in the northeast, Laveline -devant- Bruyeres in the east, in the southeast Fiménil, Prey in the southwest and Fays in the West.
The village of Champ- le- Duc was in the Ancien Régime to the Bailiwick of Bruyeres. The Parish of existing since the end of the 12th century church in Champ- le- Duc, who was one of the largest in Volognetal - it comprised up to 34 surrounding villages - and was part of the Diocese of Saint-Die dependent deanery Bruyeres and from the Abbey Remiremont. During the French Revolution the name part le- Duc ( Duc = Duke ) was discarded and the community was named Champ- sur- Lizerne.
The Church of the Assumption Champ- le- Duc is a Romanesque building in the twelfth century (perhaps in the eleventh century, but without evidence) Built on the site of an alleged ninth century villa, the foundation of which the Emperor Charles himself, which would have been used attributed to hunt in the area. The church has undergone several restorations, especially in the eighteenth century, after the Second World War and the end of the 20th century after a fire. The building is the subject of a classification as historical monuments since March 7, 1908. The organ from 1781 is attributed to Nicolas Dupont and was rebuilt by Jacquot Jean Pierre in 1871.
The Church of the Assumption ( Église de l' Assomption -de -Notre -Dame) is a Romanesque building from the 12th century. It was renovated and reconstructed several times, so in the 18th century, after the Second World War and after a fire in the late 20th century. The church is classified as a monument historique.
Economy and infrastructure
The largest company in the area is the paper mill Nova Tissue SAS on the road to Laval -sur- Vologne, a subsidiary of the Italian Cartiere Luccese Spa ( Lucart ). The operation represents cartons forth for food packaging as well as paper towels, toilet paper and tissues. He continues the 150-year tradition of paper processing in Volognetal. There are also smaller agricultural and service enterprises in the village.
The Volognetal following the road of Bruyeres after Docelles (D 44) leads north past Champ- le- Duc. The road is one of the two direct connections between Epinal and Saint- Dié, the two largest cities in the department. The nearest train station is in the nearby small town of Bruyeres on the run by the TER Lorraine railway line Arches Saint- Dié.