Uxegney is a commune with 2262 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Vosges in the Lorraine region. It belongs to the district Epinal, Epinal to Canton -Ouest and the Local Government Association AgglomÃ d' Epinal. The inhabitants call themselves Ursiniens.
The village lies between the Avière and the Canal des Vosges, about 6 miles from Epinal. Neighboring communities Uxegney are Domèvre -sur- Avière in the north, Golbey in the east, in the southeast of Les Forges, Sanchey in the south, the west and Darnieulles Fomerey in the northwest.
In the 10th century Uxegney was mentioned as Ursiniacum documented and Bailliage of Darney was assigned. In the 12th century the village was home to two buildings of the Knights Templar. In 1549 the Duke of Lorraine build a water mill on the Avière. 1656, the village was mentioned in documents as Uchigney. The Church of Uxegney is dedicated to Saint Romaric.
In the area of the municipality are the Fort d' Uxegney and the Fort de Bois l' Abbé two annularly arranged around Epinal after the German -Prussian war large fortifications.
- The fort located immediately northeast of Uxegney d' Uxegney, formerly Fort Roussel, was built in 1882-84 and modernized in 1914. On 29 April 2002 it was officially recognized as a historic monument.
- Called the Fort de Bois l' Abbé, even Fort Poniatowski, located 370 meters above the sea in a forest 1500 meters northeast of the village. The fort was to secure the defense of the road from Epinal to Vittel. The construction of the fort began in 1883 and until 1916 was constantly expanded and developed over the years. The crew consisted of up to 300 men. The fort belongs as the neighboring Fort d' Uxegney a historical society, to take care of maintenance and repair. Twice a year, tours are organized, which are visited by hundreds of interested people.
Fort de Bois l' Abbé