Bitzen is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Hamm (Sieg).
Bitzen and the district Dünebusch lie on the northern side of the victory; which places limits on the west by North Rhine -Westphalia and the community Windeck ( win); in the north of Bitzen are forestry and south Oppertsau, a district of Fürthen.
Bitzen was first mentioned in documents in 1445.
By the year 1806 Bitzen belonged to the county of Sayn- Hachenburg. Bitzen formed within the parish Hamm a "Send " above its own administrative district, which also includes the towns of Dünebusch and Pirzenthal included (part of knowledge today). The county of Sayn- Hachenburg 1799 was fallen on the Erbweg to the princes of Nassau- Weilburg. 1806 came the two princes of Nassau in the Napoleonic Confederation of the Rhine, so that the region of 1806 belonged to the Duchy of Nassau. Because of the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements, the area was ceded to the Kingdom of Prussia.
Under the Prussian administration Bitzen the mayor Hamm was assigned to the newly built district of Old churches that belonged from 1822 to the Rhine province.
From 1720 to 1931, the iron ore mine of St. Andrew was operated in place.
On March 28, 1993 fell between Dünebusch and Pirzenthal from a Robinson R22 helicopter type. The two occupants did not survive the accident.
The development of the population of Bitzen, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Bitzen consists of twelve council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.