Helmenzen is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Old churches and is divided into the districts Helmenzen and Oberölfen.Der mayor is Heinz Walter Henn.
Helmenzen is situated on the national highway 8 between old churches and Weyer bush. The district Oberölfen lies in the west. The Old Town churches bordered to the east and south by the municipality of Helmenzen, the center of the Old churches is about 1.5 km away. Other neighboring municipalities are Kettenhausen, Neitersen, Hemmelzen, Birnbach and Wölmersen.
In 1459 Helmenzen was first mentioned in documents, Oberölfen already in 1427.
Both towns were originally common to the county of Sayn. After the division of the 17th century Helmenzen belonged to the county of Sayn- old churches, Oberölfen to the county of Sayn- Hachenburg. Within the county of Sayn- old churches belonged to the parish Helmenzen old churches, which represented a secular administrative unit, and the lower courts exercised. 1787 were counted in Helmenzen 19 households. Oberölfen other hand, belonged to the parish Birnbach.
The county of Sayn- old churches, so that the village Helmenzen, 1791 came on the Erbweg to Prussia but was awarded in 1803 in Reichsdeputationshauptschluss the Principality of Nassau- Usingen. The county of Sayn- Hachenburg, thus the town was Oberölfen 1799 came as a result of succession to the Principality of Nassau -Weilburg. Both Nassau principalities were united in 1806 in connection with the formation of the Napoleonic Confederation of the Rhine to the Duchy of Nassau. As a result of measures taken on the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) Decisions and due to a contract concluded between Nassau and Prussia were ceded the two formerly saynischen counties to the Kingdom of Prussia.
Under the Prussian administration was Helmenzen the mayoralty old churches and Oberölfen for mayor Weyerbusch in 1816 the same team newly formed in the Region of Koblenz, which was part of 1822 on the Rhine Province. The two mayors in 1927, as all mayors in the Rhine Province, in offices renamed.
On April 1, 1939, until then independent municipality Oberölfen was incorporated into Helmenzen yet been separated from the administrative district of the Office Weyerbusch.
The development of the population of Helmenzen based on the present-day municipality; the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Helmenzen consists of twelve council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 of personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman. The twelve seats in the Council are distributed among three groups of voters.
- The museum barn is a museum of local history of the Working Group Association for Local History & Heritage Care
→ List of cultural monuments in Helmenzen