Hamm (Sieg) is a municipality on the victory in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It is the administrative seat of the municipality of the same name, a nationally recognized tourist and reported as a basic center in accordance with state planning.
- 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
Hamm is situated halfway between Eitorf and Betz village or between Waldbroel and old churches on the northern foothills of the Westerwald; the local church is situated on the southern edge of the Sieg Valley above Au (Sieg) and Fürthen located in the north; more neighboring municipalities are superb in the west, the east and Roth Breitscheidt in the south.
Hamm was mentioned for the first time on March 31, 1131 in a document. " Ecclam Hamne cum tota dec " stands in the document, the Pope Innocent II the Cassius - pin to Bonn, the church and tithe to Hamm on the Sieg confirmed. By the end of the 18th century, the former parish belonged Hamm (Sieg) to the County of Sayn, last zu Sayn- Hachenburg. After a brief period under Nassau was with the transition to the state of Prussia then from the parish, the mayor Hamm.
International importance Hamm received by the founder of the Agricultural Cooperation, Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen, who was born here in 1818. Raiffeisen's father was mayor of the mayor Hamm. Even the grandfather and great-grandfather had held the post, albeit under a different name. The Raiffeisen museum commemorates his life.
On February 10, 1968 Hamm was named the suffix "( victory ) ."
The development of the population of the municipality Hamm (Sieg ), the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Hamm (Sieg) consists of 20 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a personalized proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
The distribution of seats in the local council:
Coat of arms
The coat of arms description reads: " From red to blue by silver shaft thread split for sign foot, above two crossed silver horse heads a golden, blue gezungter, torn leopardierter lion's head, down silver hammer and chisel ."
Explanation: The two horse heads symbolize the life work of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen. The lion head represents the Hamm's previous affiliation to the county of Sayn- Hachenburg. The shaft thread is the location of the place on the victory. The tools refer to the mining tradition of Hamm.
Culture and Leisure
- In the Thalhauser mill, the largest natural swimming pool of the entire region is with a water surface of 16,000 m² and 15,000 m² of lawns.
- In 1998, the municipality acquired the birthplace of Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen Raiffeisen and created the museum, which was opened in 2000.
See also: List of cultural monuments in Hamm (Sieg)
In Hamm (Sieg) now exists a comprehensive school, the IGS Hamm - Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen school.
Sons and daughters of the town
- The most famous son of the town is Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen ( born March 30, 1818 in Hamm (Sieg), † March 11, 1888 in Heddesdorf now Neuwied )
- The artist Erwin Wortelkamp was born on September 21, 1938 in Hamm (Sieg).