Volkerzen is a municipality in the district of Old churches in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Old churches.
Volkerzen located west of Eichelhardt near the main road leading from old churches to Hamm 256
Volkerzen is first mentioned in a 1473 document of the monastery Marienstatt. 1578 and 1580 was the place of eight houses, which is about 50 residents. 1714 tried the residents Erzens people together with neighboring towns in a petition to Duke Johann Wilhelm of Saxe- Eisenach adopt the Mahlzwang in the Old city based mill to get and build its own mill in Lower Erbach. 1718 approval has been given.
Volkerzen belonged to the county of Sayn and after their division since the 17th century to the county of Sayn- old churches. Within the county belonged Volkerzen to the parish of Old Churches, which represented a secular administrative unit, and the lower courts exercised. In 1803 the county and therefore Volkerzen the Principality of Nassau- Usingen awarded (1806 Duchy of Nassau ) in 1815 and came as a result of the decisions of the Congress of Vienna in 1815 to Prussia. Under the Prussian administration was Volkerzen to the mayor's old churches in the district of the same name in 1816 in the newly formed Region of Koblenz, which was part of 1822 on the Rhine Province. In 1946, the community part of Rhineland- Palatinate.
Ecclesiastical Volkerzen the Old city based branch church in Hilgenroth was assigned. Originally belonged to the parish of Old churches to the archbishopric of Cologne. By saynische Reformation and the inhabitants of Volkerzen first in 1561 and 1605, the Lutheran doctrine of the Reformed were fed. Even today include the population around 55%, mainly at the Protestant church.
The development of the population, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Volkerzen consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms description reads: " From Blue and Gold diagonally quartered, above a golden sun with eighteen wave beams, front an open blue book, behind a blue seven- gurdy and down three golden crossed ears, from which protrudes on each side a golden plow ."
Coat Explanation: The symbols coat of arms stand for the essential elements of living together: The over all life setting sun, the Bible as the Word of God, the lyre symbolizing music, song and merriment, and the plows and grain ears as a symbol of the agricultural character of the village. Prospecting for ore were in the past 200 years with little success.
The new coat of arms was introduced in 1995, that according to a design from 1949 now changed corresponding to the heraldic rules.
Mayor and mayor
The undeveloped municipal area is one half each of forest and agricultural acreage. The forest is, unless State Forest, managed by a forest prospective shaft, three farms have on average lasted about 53 acres of agricultural land (as of 2007 ). The forest areas also lend themselves to seeking relaxation for hiking.