Obernau is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Flammersfeld.
Obernau lies about 4 km northeast of Flammersfeld and 6 km southwest of the Old churches on both sides of Wied. Neighboring towns are Hemmelzen in the north, Neitersen in the east, Berzhausen in the south, the west and Schürdt Giershausen in the northwest. At the site over the highway passes 256
The place was first mentioned in 1565 as part of a collection of existing residential places and at that time consisted of six fireplaces ( = houses, probably about 30 inhabitants ).
Obernau belonged until 1806 to the County of Sayn- Hachenburg and to the parish of Schöneberg. The county of Sayn- Hachenburg 1799 was fallen on the Erbweg to the princes of Nassau- Weilburg. 1806 came the two princes of Nassau in the Napoleonic Confederation of the Rhine, so that the region of 1806 belonged to the Duchy of Nassau. Because of the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements the territory of the former saynischen counties of the Kingdom of Prussia was ceded.
Under the Prussian administration Obernau the mayoralty Flammersfeld was assigned to the newly built district of Old churches that belonged from 1822 to the Rhine province.
The development of the population of Obernau, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Obernau consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.