Rettersen is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality of Old Churches ( Westerwald). In the local dialect of the place " Retterschen " is called.
By Rettersen leads the federal highway 8 neighboring towns are Kircheib in the West, Hasselbach in the east, Fiersbach in the southwest and Ersfeld in the south. In the north of the main village is actually bordered the wooded ridge to Leuscheid ( State Forest Old churches).
The municipality consists of the villages Rettersen, cock, Rossberg and Witt hedge.
Rettersen is first mentioned in 1428. In the " miracle book Hilgenroth " a resident named by " Rethershoven ".
1931 received Rettersen own post office of Class II in the district of the post office Asbach.
The development of the population, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Rettersen consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms description reads: " Red divided by a silver slant bar links, front a blue reinforced and gezungter golden left -turned leopardierter lion, behind a golden oak branch with four crops of beam pointing and four leaves ".
The lion refers to the former belonging to the County of Sayn, the bar symbolizes the old military and commercial road that led through the village. The oak branch symbolizes the four districts, and points to the forest wealth.
It is worth mentioning that the districts are differently supplied with drinking water. The districts Hahn and Witt hedge is provided by the municipality Old churches with water from Bigge. The district Rettersen however, has its own independent water supply from a spring in the forest. This water is so pure that it does not have to be disinfected with chlorine or ozone.
Through the town flows the savior Erbach, who is called in its upper reaches scissors Bach and Bach Ersfeld Pesch.