Horhausen (Westerwald ) is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Flammersfeld.
Horhausen is a nationally recognized tourist and reported as a basic center in accordance with state planning. The catchment area comprises approximately 5,000 inhabitants Horhausens.
- 5.1 Sons and daughters of the town
Horhausen Westerwald lies on the main road 256 in the middle between the Neuwied district towns and old churches. From the A3 (exit Neuwied / Old churches ) the location is situated about three kilometers away. Horhausen is about 350 meters high and is surrounded by extensive forests.
In addition to the eponymous capital to Horhausen include the districts hoof and Luchert and the living space Horhausermühle.
The first mention is Horhausen on March 12, 1217 in a document of Trier Archbishop Theodoric of Wied, in which he confirmed income in Horhusin the canons of St. Florin in Koblenz.
1330, the Church is invested in Hoirhusen to control. In an interest register in favor of the pin Herford from the year 1397 to the realm of the Bailiwick Horhausen ( Horhusen ) are listed belonging localities: Bürdenbach ( Burtillinbach ) Daufenbach ( Dufenbach, today part of Dürrholz ) Güllesheim ( Goilshain ), courtyard fraction ( Broiche curtis, today part of Bürdenbach ) Luchert ( Luchenrode, today part of Horhausen ), low and Obersteinebach ( Steyenenbach ) Pleckhausen ( Bleck Husen ) and Will Roth ( Wilrode ). Between 1338 and 1664 the Bailiwick Horhausen was a fief of the Counts of Isenburg and fell after the death of the last Count Ernst von Isenburg - border adjustment, back in electoral possession. Since that time Horhausen belonged to the Electoral-Trier Office Herschbach. A process for control rights, the Earl led to Wied as a relative of Isenburg before the Imperial Chamber Court, silted.
In 1684 there were in Horhausen nine fireplaces, which should have corresponded to approximately 45 to 50 residents. To 1787 then lived already 148 people in Horhausen.
The secularisation of 1803 as a result of Reichsdeputationshauptschluss conclusion meant that the right bank kurtrierischen areas of Nassau -Weilburg, and then came to the principality due to the Congress of Vienna in 1815 to Prussia. From 1816 it belonged to the province of Lower Rhine, where the mayor's office in the county Flammersfeld old churches.
Around 1835 Horhausen received a new school building with two classrooms for 250 children, which was already dilapidated a decade later. A new building failed because of the lack of financial resources. Only in 1866 was given to build a dual-class school, although space for four classes would have been required by the government to Koblenz approval.
The development of the population, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Horhausen (Westerwald ) consists of 16 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 a proportional representation, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Allocation of seats in the elected municipal council:
Culture and sights
Horhausens landmark is the parish church of St. Mary Magdalene with the highly visible tower. Also referred to as Westerwald cathedral church was built in 1902 according to plans by government architect Heinrich Krings, Cologne, in neospätromanischen forms. The Romanesque tower was this to be increased a basement, included in the new building.
In Horhausen, the birthplace of Cardinal Joseph Hoffner, a monument was unveiled in honor of the man's church on May 8, 2005. After a year, the artist has the head removed, probably because the city could not pay all / wanted. Then the head was concealed until you found him in the artist and anschweißte again. Now wearing Cardinal Joseph Hoffner a " ruff ".
List of cultural monuments in Horhausen (Westerwald )
The community itself, but also many clubs which offer numerous festivals and events.
- On Easter Sunday, young and old can participate in the athletic now traditional Easter egg throwing contest.
- On the Saturday before Mother's Day the famous flower market takes place, which is one of the largest flower markets in Rhineland- Palatinate.
- The end of July is celebrated in Horhausen the Magdalen fair, in the autumn of the Dragon Flugtag takes place, the October market closes the event year the community.
- Early November, organized by the MGV Horhausen with his three choral formations the great choral concert with over 120 active singers.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Joseph Cardinal Hoffner (1906-1987), cardinal, archbishop of Cologne, Chairman of the German Bishops' Conference (1976-1987)
- Dasbach Friedrich (1846-1907), Catholic priest, journalist and social reformer
- John Rüth (1899-1978), Bishop of Trondheim
- Rolf Schult (1927-2013), German actor and voice of Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins and others
- George Stenz (1869-1928), Divine Word Missionary in China, educator and director of the Franz -Xaver College in Jinin, Shandong, China