Berzhausen is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Flammersfeld.
The municipality is located in the valley of Wied; Neighboring towns are Obernau in the north, Schürdt in the northwest and Seelbach in the south. Berzhausen is surrounded by vast forest areas of the state forest Old Churches
The municipality consists of the two districts Berzhausen and knitting Hausen and residential places Uhlenhorst Wiesenhof.
The first mention of knitting Hausen took place in 1432. Satchel The mill formerly located in Berzhausen was mentioned in 1470. In 1561 were in Berzhausen five fireplaces, ie Houses counted.
Both places belonged until 1806 to the County of Sayn- Hachenburg the left of Wied lying Berzhausen belonged to the parish of Schöneberg, knitting Hausen Parish Flammersfeld. The county of Sayn- Hachenburg 1799 was fallen on the Erbweg to the princes of Nassau- Weilburg. 1806 came the two princes of Nassau in the Napoleonic Confederation of the Rhine, so that the region of 1806 belonged to the Duchy of Nassau. Because of the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements the territory of the former saynischen counties of the Kingdom of Prussia was ceded.
Under the Prussian administration both towns the mayor Flammersfeld were assigned to the newly built district of Old churches that belonged from 1822 to the Rhine province. 1817 had Berzhausen 51 and knitting Hausen 41 inhabitants.
In the years 1850-1852, the then Flammer fields Mayor Friedrich Wilhelm Raiffeisen prompted the first bridge between Berzhausen and knitting camp. The school in knitting Hausen was mentioned in 1865, the school in Berzhausen since 1870.
The formerly independent municipality knitting Hausen was incorporated into Berzhausen on 1 April 1939.
The development of the population of Berzhausen based on the present-day municipality; the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Berzhausen consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms
The blazon is: " From red and green split by registered wandered silver tip, in black on blue wave bar mill wheel, front blaugezungt and reinforced golden lion leopardierter, rear silver Backhaus gable with black door, window and half-timbered ".
The saynische lion refers to the previous affiliation of Berzhausen and knitting Hausen to the county of Sayn; the Backhaus ( Backes ) on a green background symbolizes the former importance of agriculture and forestry; the mill wheel is reminiscent of the spell mill for the places of the parish Flammersfeld as well as for the places Berzhausen and bedsteads Hausen of the parish Schöneberg; The Blue Wave bar indicates the Wied.