Mehren is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Old churches.
- 3.1 municipal
- 3.2 Coat of Arms
- 4.1 Romanesque church
- 4.2 Old School
- 4.3 New School
- 4.4 Bulles'Je
- 4.5 Freilichtbuhne
- 4.6 language
- 4.7 events
- 4.8 Voluntary Sector 4.8.1 Mixed Choir Mehren e.V.
- 4.8.2 Volunteer Fire Mehren
- 4.8.3 Other Clubs
Mehren is situated on the northern edge of a vast forest area ( State Forest Old churches). Due to the site of the multi stream that feeds a pond below the rectory flows. Neighboring towns are Fiersbach and Ersfeld in the north, Kraam in the northeast, goats grove in the southeast and Hirz - Maulsbach in the West.
To Mehren include the districts Acker, Adorf and soaps.
It is believed that the district was inhabited by Mehren already in Frankish times. The place was probably at the time of the great migrations. During the Carolingian Gau civic likely the space Mehren have formed a Germanic large manorial system. After the division of the Middle Empire around 870 then the Gaugrafen of Auelgaues could carry out the settlement and development of this part of the country. These probably belonged in the 11-12. Century, the building of the local church.
Only in 1406 is a Rorich Henrici de Meerne (... by Mehren ), priest of the diocese of Cologne, and called in the following decades several other Judges to Mehren. Double trenches that were called in the vernacular Roman ditches, gave evidence of near border fortifications between the Electorate of Cologne and the County of Sayn, which should be developed 1300-1500.
Original forms of the name were Meirne 1316, 1359 Merin, 1406 Meerne (see previous paragraph), in documents of the church village Flammersfeld in the 14th and 15th centuries and notwithstanding Myrne on a map Myrl. From the latter it was concluded that the name identifies a Frankish- Christian foundation, which took place in honor of the Virgin Mary, and therefore Mehren is a derivative of Mary. This is contradicted, that the stream name are usually older than the Bach name borrowed place names, the name may be derived from a former swamp area in the source area. [ Katzwinkel 1] The term Forstmehren, later toponym of Forstmehren, is evidence of a then royal estate. [ Katzwinkel 2]
Once upon a time in Mehren is right on Mehrnbach a small Wasserburg have stood that served the village of lower nobility as a residence. Of this, however, no remains have survived, and the only reference to this construction is found in a field map of the land registry Old churches with the designation of a parcel of land " in the castle meadow ".
1931 Mehren received its own post office of Class II in the district of the post office Asbach.
Jewish Community Mehren
In Mehren at times there was a small Jewish community in the 19th century. The number of Jewish inhabitants was as follows: in 1837 there were 19 ( of a total of 230 inhabitants ), 1858 17 and 1895 15 inhabitants. At times, there was also a prayer room. In Mehren several Jewish families were still at the beginning of the 20th century resident. All Jewish families, some cattle traders were integrated into the social and economic life of the community; Also, the community had to set up a Jewish school in a house of Christian citizens. Until the completion of the synagogue in the Old churches in 1884, the people of the Jewish faith came on the Sabbath day from the surrounding communities Flammersfeld and upper Lahr to Mehren to celebrate the Sabbath feast. In 1925 there were no more Jewish residents in Mehren.
The development of the population of the municipality Mehren, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses.
The local council in Mehren consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman. In the previous election period from 2004 to 2009 the council consisted of twelve councilors.
Coat of arms
The center of the town coat of arms is the Romanesque church with its half-timbered memory. The round medallion in the right field the coat of arms is derived from a grave slab in front of the choir in the church, which is to cover the grave of Johann von Mehren. The finial pictured and the crossed keys are to remain representative of the power of the keys and the spell of life. The depicted on the left pitcher with the initials of the British King and Elector of Hanover, George II, indicates founded in 1737 Mehren Can bakers' guild. The color scheme refers to the green of the left field on the scenery of the Westerwald, the central yellow field is a reference to the "gold" of the grain fields, and the blue right part is a sign of the waters of more Bach.
Culture and sights
Mehren applies - particularly because of the numerous and well-preserved old half-timbered houses - as one of the most beautiful villages in the region. Mehren was in the national competition "Our village is beautiful - Our village has a future" in 1983 and 1989, awarded as a representative of the state of Rhineland -Palatinate with the silver medal. In the center below the vicarage is also home to a beautifully landscaped pond, where the Opened in 2008 Westerwaldsteig, a 235 km long premium hiking trail between Herborn and Bad Hönningen passes.
See also: → List of cultural monuments in Mehren
Worth seeing is the three-aisled basilica built as a 12th century brick and half-timbered Protestant parish church. She is one of the oldest late Romanesque village churches of the Westerwald, as they are also found in Kircheib, Birnbach, Höchstenbach or Almersbach. Your patronage can no longer be clarified with certainty. It belongs to the series of small, three-aisled Bruchsteinbauten with flachgedecktem ship and vaulted choir. About this there is a picturesque half-timbered memory that was added to 1744 to get the problems with the two -tiered roof in the handle and summarize chancel and nave under one roof. While the cathedral has flat ceilings, the choir has a groin vault. Around 1910 the church was restored and almost completely renewed the aisles.
The cast of the oldest hanging in the Mehrener church bells is dated to the beginning of the 14th century; it bears the inscription O Rex glory veni cum pace, Ych hot maria. The new building of the rectory in 1859 replaced an old, dilapidated predecessor. The new house was, like the ten years earlier school, built in rubble. Through a breaker it was connected to the mid-1950s caused the parish hall, which was built as an ecumenical youth camp funded by the Ecumenical Council in Geneva.
Among the half-timbered houses of the village in particular stands out, the so-called " ahl school ," the old school, a privately-held late Gothic building from the 16th century. Oldest notarized parish schoolmaster was Johann Jakob Altgeld, who was named 1919.
The now privately owned building of the new school was built in 1860, having previously had been chosen to lead the school in Mehren two quickly. In August 1971, the school location Mehren was finally dissolved. About the relocation of the primary school in the 1950s in the former Catholic school Weyerbusch a multi-year dispute with the local church circuit and district government moved out because "the church had no Catholic child in schulpflichigen age ". A comparison ended the dispute; as an evangelical center school for the 7th, 8th and the newly created 9th grade was formed in Weyerbusch. [ Katzwinkel 3]
Below the "Old School" is the built in 1547 former dungeon von Mehren, which was also called Bulles'Je. Even if today is privately owned, so the door of the old town prison during the day unlocked, and visitors are welcome.
In the 1990s, an open air stage was created in place above the pond, which is used by many clubs and cultural workers of the Westerwald.
According to Hermann -Josef Roth of Mehrnbach applies as the limit of the Cologne dialect.
In addition to the harvest festival which is celebrated every two years, with an ecumenical church service and a huge parade, the annual Festival of Lights has become in the summer with its spectacular fireworks by the village pond at the outdoor stage to a fixed base that on the regional boundaries is much attention and now attracts visitors from all over Germany.
Mehren has a number of registered associations, which provide in addition to the exercise of their cultural and social tasks regularly by more or less large events within and outside the region for attention.
Mixed Choir Mehren e.V.
Since 1887 there are in Mehren an organized glee club, which was then re-founded in 1949 as a church choir one year later than Mixed Choir and now 32 active and 120 passive members counts. He also has a children's choir and a flute group. In addition to numerous events in the region and in Mehren even the Mixed Choir Mehren eV is also known by concert tours in Switzerland, the Netherlands and Austria, as well as from a number of television appearances. He is one of the major cultural institutions in Mehrbachtal.
Volunteer Fire Mehren
The volunteer fire department Mehren was founded in 1934. After 1945 it was replaced by the shift of responsibility for the fire being on the official administrations of the official fire company fire department Weyerbusch and is today at the Association of Township Fire Department Old churches. It is a mandatory establishment of the municipality or association of municipalities and has in Mehren 32 active men and the 15-member youth fire brigade. The catchment area of the volunteer fire department Mehren include Ersfeld, Fiersbach, Hirz - Maulsbach, Kircheib and Kraam (without the district Heuberg). To support the volunteer fire department Mehren at major purchases or projects of the Friends of the volunteer fire department Mehren was founded in 1995 eV.
In Mehren also has one beekeeper eV, the Football Hobby Club FHC Mehrbachtal eV, the Village Improvement Society, which offers a guided village tour for interested individuals or groups, as well as the hunting association Mehren.
Economy and infrastructure
Mehren has a number of commercial and craft shops, a nursing center, and a hotel - restaurant in the district Adorf soaps. The once existing village shop is no longer operated for many years. A community center is associations and interested in organizing events and festivities available. By Mehren passes the county road 24, which connects the village four kilometers away in federal highway 8. The A3 and A59 are about twenty kilometers away. Shops, primary school, doctors and pharmacies can be found in Weyerbusch five kilometers away.
Hafheishof in Mehren
Romanesque church, Aerial View
Half-timbered house in Mehren
Half-timbered house " Old School " in Mehren
Half-timbered house in Mehren
Half-timbered house dating from the 16th century in Mehren
Half-timbered house in Mehren
Rectory in Mehren
Old thatched half-timbered house in Mehren
Old half- timbered house dating from 1719 in the district Adorf
The Mehrnbach in Mehren
The entrance to the local dungeon
Anteroom in " Bulles'Je "
The way to the dungeon
The open air theater