Elves is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Gebhardshain. Local dialect of the place " Elwen " is called.
- 4.1 Attractions
- 4.2 associations
The municipality is located in the northern foothills of the Westerwald out the winner country south of Betzdorf; Neighboring municipalities are Steineroth in the northeast, Molzhain in the east, Dick village in the southeast, and stones Bach / victory in the South and Gebhardshain in the southwest. Same lies on the regional road 281 in a narrow valley cut at the confluence of Elbbach and Steinebacher Bach.
At the same include the residential places Weisel stone and duration Mühle.
On May 3, 1316 Elf was first mentioned. Some farms in the village may have been the basis of settlement. According to a table of 1667 belonged to the same parish Gevertzhaen ( = Gebhardshain ). 1704 was in a same spell mill to the records after the year 1704 a total of 72 Mahlgäste brought her ground material or had to take. In addition to this permanent Mühle, about a kilometer away from the village, was located after 1700 a second mill, an oil mill in the village.
The development of the population of the municipality of Elves, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in same consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms
The Coat of Arms description is: " Argent, a red slant right bar with three aligned silver diamonds, accompanied by a red four-spoke water wheel to the right, to the left of a green juniper branch with blue berries ".
The Lords of Gebhardsayn called Lützerath resulted in three red diagonal right expanses of white diamonds. Here the coat of arms identified the long -standing close affiliation with Gebhardshain. At the same time includes the Mühle. For it is the mill wheel. An almost historic juniper distillation from 1897 is located in elves. For it is the juniper branch. Same results in this coat of arms since 1988.
Culture and Attractions
- The villa of the Meyer family who operated the former juniper distillery, now a listed building.
See also: List of cultural monuments in Elves (Westerwald )
In the same Historic Fire Department elves who Sportjugend Elbenia and the Mixed Choir Elbenia provide cultural and sporting activities. Furthermore, there is a burial club in elves.
In the past, agriculture and mining were the livelihoods of local people. Smaller commercial and service companies supplement the local supply. Important local employer is the DaVinci GmbH with about 130 employees.