Idelberg is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Old churches and is the smallest municipality in the old churches.
The municipality is located on a high terrace above the Nistertal between old churches and Hamm on the Sieg catchment area in the Kroppacher Switzerland. To the north lies the hamlet Alhausen, east stone Wingert, to the south and west Giesenhausen Eichelhardt.
A Closer founding period for Idelberg is unknown, but it is assumed that the district has been inhabited for 1000 years. Certified in 1461 is a hen of Idelberg, who worked as a judge and mayor in Old churches.
The place belonged since known times to the parish of Old churches and thus through the centuries even to different other Dominions: The Counts of Sayn from about the 12th century until 1652, the Dukes of Saxe -Eisenach and from 1741 the Margrave of Brandenburg -Ansbach until the county then in 1792 fell to the King of Prussia. Since 1803, the region belonged to the Principality of Nassau- Usingen, 1806 to 1822 she came to the Duchy of Nassau, in 1815 the Prussian province of the Lower Rhine and the Rhine Province. From 1816 to Idelberg was managed by the mayor's old churches.
In 1787 there were in Idelbach nine houses on which the shares of a forest prospective shank back, which originated at the beginning of the 18th century.
The development of the population, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Idelberg consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009, by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
In the area of Idelberg was formerly dug for lead and copper ore. Already in 1674, a pit that " Peter Brook", mentioned in a document, which, however, lies in the area of today's community Eichelhardt. Having for decades a number of farms were active in Idelberg, is reported no operating since 1999.