Fensdorf is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Gebhardshain.
The municipality is located on the northern foothills of the Westerwald southeast of knowledge; Neighboring municipalities are Selbach in the west and Gebhardshain in the east. North of the village extend extensive forest areas in which the district borders the Westerwald region.
Fensdorf was first documented in 1220. The place belonged to the county of Sayn, the "masters of Gevertzhagen " had the " Gebhard Hainer country " as a fief. Beginning of the 13th century, the Gevertzhagener had built their family seat in the hallway " Görsbach " in the district Fensdorf. She lay on the connection path of Fensdorf after Gebhardshain on stretch "On the Schrankweg ". After Saynischen inheritance mid-17th century Fensdorf belonged to the county of Sayn- old churches. This came in 1803 with the Principality of Nassau- Usingen and 1806 the Duchy of Nassau, and after the Congress of Vienna in 1815 to the Kingdom of Prussia. Under the Prussian administration, the community Fensdorf was assigned to the mayor's office in the county Gebhardshain old churches in the Region of Koblenz, which was part of 1822 on the Rhine Province. Since 1946 Fensdorf is part of Rhineland- Palatinate then newly founded.
Ecclesiastical belonged to the diocese of Trier and Fensdorf always lies in the so-called Trierischer island. The place was a purely Catholic community until the mid 20th century, today there are about 72 % Catholic and 16 % Protestant.
In 1902 Fensdorf received a class elementary school, which existed until 1964.
The development of the population of Fensdorf, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Fensdorf consists of eight council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Community leaders and local mayor:
Coat of arms
The blazon is: " The coat of arms is divided into four sections. Field 1: silver, three diagonally right blue diamonds; Field 2: blue, golden marsh marigolds bloom; Field 3: blue, diagonally right golden key, beard board setting; Field 4: Bilber, blue plowshare. "
The three diamonds are based on the coat of arms of the lords of Gevertzhagen. The marsh marigold that grows mainly in damp locations, symbolizes the place name. The term " fen ( s )" or Fenn from the Old High German / Gallic or the Dutch " veen " have the meaning swamp, bog or wetland. It is believed that from this root word of place names Fensdorf arose. The Golden Key Peter stands for the membership of the archbishopric of Trier. The ploughshare is the agricultural structure of the municipal area.
The coat of arms was approved in late 2009.
- As a sports club offers the Catholic DJK connected " DJK Fensdorf " woman gymnastics, kids gymnastics, walking and football.
- The " Mixed Choir Fensdorf " cultivates secular and church songs.
- In Carnival Fensdorf is represented with the " Fensdorfer Carnival Club". In addition to three sessions ( session cap, sitting and child session ), which are designed by the club takes part in the FKC Carnival parades around.
- When executor meeting of the " Friends tractor Westerwald / win " meet annually on the second weekend in August, the friends of old tractor.