Burglahr is a municipality in the district of Old Churches ( Westerwald) in Rhineland- Palatinate. It belongs to the municipality Flammersfeld. Burglahr is a nationally recognized tourist.
The place is situated in Rhein-Westerwald nature park in the valley of Wied at an altitude of about 167 meters above sea level. Neighboring municipalities are Peterslahr and upper Lahr.
To Burglahr also includes the hamlet of Heckerfeld and the living space Lusthof.
The word element - Lahr is derived from the Celtic or Lar Laar and is available for basic and deforested area. Shards finds on the site of the 1276 first mentioned Burglahr show that there have already been here in the Romanesque period a settlement. The castle was a fief of the Archbishopric Cologne Salentin of Isenburg (other sources: The Salento Isenburg were owners of the castle and the castle fell just by pledging 1325 Cologne). The area was at that time part of the rule Lahr, which included the towns of Upper Lahr, Burglahr and Heckerfeld. The tower visible today dates from the 14th century. The " Lahr glory" was drafted in 1664 as a completed fief by the Cologne Elector Maximilian Henry of Bavaria and in 1803, after the dissolution of the Cologne archdiocese awarded due to the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss conclusion, the Principality of Nassau- Usingen, 1806, the area belonged to the Duchy of Nassau, and came in 1815 due to the decisions of the Congress of Vienna and an additional agreement with the Kingdom of Prussia. Under the Prussian administration Burglahr was assigned to the newly built district of Old churches of the mayoralty Flammersfeld that belonged from 1822 to the Rhine province.
The castle itself changed many owners and was, like shards finds prove, inhabited until the 18th century. The ruin, 1967/68 restored, is now owned by the municipality.
The development of the population of Burglahr, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Burglahr consists of twelve council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman. In the previous election period from 2004 to 2009 the council consisted of eight members.
- The Lahr Castle is a picturesque castle ruin above the village Burglahr in the valley of Wied, whose main part constitutes about 25 meters high round tower today.
- The Catholic Chapel of the Visitation at the foot of the castle hill dates from the second half of the 17th century and is plastered, quarry stone nave with three-sided choir circuit. Equipped is the chapel with a held in a simple Baroque wooden altar and a standing in a central niche wooden figure of the Virgin and Child.
- The Alvenslebenstollen is a 1546 m long connecting tunnels to the ore mine Louise. As a visitor mine he has today, by appointment, an insight into the world of iron ore mining in the past two centuries.
- The Blue Mill is around 1200 to datierendes mill property, which is listed status maintained and operated and now houses an equestrian hotel owned by former Olympic Second Jutta Heine.
See also: → List of cultural monuments in Burglahr