December 20th is the 354th day of the Gregorian Calendar ( 355th in leap years), thus 11 days remain until the end of the year.
- 3.1 Before the 19th century
- 3.2 19th century
- 3.3 20th century
- 3.4 21st century
Politics and World Affairs
- 0069: The Year of the Four Emperors in Rome Aulus Vitellius is chased by Marcus Antonius Primus from the imperial office, presented to the people, killed and thrown into the Tiber. Thus Vespasian is the undisputed ruler of the Roman Empire.
- 1046: The King Henry III. convened the Synod of Sutri begins. Pope Gregory VI. given the opportunity to defend himself against the charge of simony.
Science and Technology
Minor accidents are listed in the sub- items of disaster.
- 2009: With a 25:22 - final win over France, the Russian women's national handball team wins in Nanjing, the handball world championship of women.
Entries of Athletics world records are located under the respective discipline under Athletics.
Before the 19th century
Before the 19th century
- 0069: Vitellius, Roman emperor
- 0217: Zephyrinus, Bishop of Rome
- 0639: Chintila, King of the Visigoths
- 0860: Aethelbald, second son of the Anglo-Saxon king of Wessex Æthelwulf
- 1200: Adélaïde de Toulouse, Viscountess of Béziers and Carcassonne
- 1295: Margaret of Provence, Queen of France
- 1306: Frederick I of Lichtenberg, bishop of Strasbourg
- 1421: John II of Schlamstorf, Archbishop of Bremen
- 1552: Katharina von Bora, German noblewoman and wife of Martin Luther
- 1570: Sebastian Fröschel, German Lutheran theologian
- 1597: Wolfgang von Ysenburg - Ronneburg, Regent of the Office Langen
- 1632: Melchior Borchgrevinck, Danish composer and Kapellmeister
- 1642: Christian Carpzov, German jurist and legal scholar
- 1644: Albrecht of Saxe- Eisenach, German nobleman and Duke of Saxe- Eisenach
- 1679: Maurice of Nassau, called " Brazilian ", Prince of Nassau- Siegen, Dutch field marshal and statesman
- 1716: Susanna Maria von Sandrart, German artist and engraver in Nuremberg
- 1723: August Quirinus Rivinus, German professor, astronomer, botanist and physician
- 1727: Johann Andreas Danz, German Lutheran theologian and orientalist
- 2001: Leopold Sedar Senghor, Senegalese poet and President
- 2005: Argentina Brunetti, Argentine actress and reporter
- 2006: Harald Berger, an Austrian mountain climber
- 2008: Adrian Mitchell, British writer
- 2009: Marcel Cremer, Belgian theater director
- 2009: Hossein Ali Montazeri, Iranian Grand Ayatollah
- 2009: Brittany Murphy, American actress
- 2010: Fritz Rittner, German legal scholar
- 2010: Josef Adolf Schmoll called Eisenwerth, German art historian
- 2011: Hana Androníková, Czech writer
- 2011: K. V. Varadaraj, Indian football players
Holidays and observances
- Religious observances Katharina von Bora, German nun and wife of Martin Luther ( Protestant)
- St. Ignatius of Antioch, Roman martyr, theologian and Bishop ( Orthodox)
- St. Hoger, Archbishop of Hamburg -Bremen ( Roman Catholic)
More entries contains the list of commemorative and action days.
- Day in December