Chesapeake is an independent city in the region of South Hampton Roads in eastern U.S. state of Virginia. The population in 2010 was 222 209 inhabitants.
The town was founded in 1963 from the merger of the City of South Norfolk with the Norfolk County. The name City of Chesapeake was chosen by popular vote.
¹ 1980 - 2010: census results
Adjacent counties and cities
- Portsmouth (Virginia ) ( north )
- Norfolk ( Virginia) ( north )
- Virginia Beach ( east )
- Currituck County ( south )
- Camden County ( North Carolina) ( south )
- Suffolk (Virginia) (to the west )